Friday, December 12, 2008

X-mas...What should I do ?

This year we have decided as a family that we are not going to trade gifts. I know...it sounds mean but are kids have everything that they need and more. We asked are kids if they we would be upset if we didn't get them anything for Christmas, there was a very long pause (are kids are kids of coarse) but they said they would agree to not have a present form Justin and I; if they could pick out the toys for the little boy and girl that didn't have any toys. (Are kids are positive that they have been good and Santa is coming, they are so spoiled) So tonight we went shopping for a 12 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. Justin and I, OK I was probably way more into it then anyone else. Let's face it I think I am the only one in the family that actually likes to shop......I wish I could get paid for shopping. (Back to reality) I guess the whole point of this blog is..I wonder what my kids will say on Christmas morning when the tree is a few presents short and nothing is from Justin and I. I wonder if we are teaching them a good lesson early or will they feel like we neglected them. I know it is kind of silly to worry but I wonder are my children to young to really grasp that concept. What should I do?

6 comments:

Bryce & Camillia Dougal said...

I think that what you are doing is wonderful! We've done something similar to that each year since we've been married, not only is it fun, but we truely partake of the wonderful Christmas Spirit! I think it is a great lesson that you are teaching your children, no matter their ages! Teaching them to give at an early age is always easier than trying to teach them when they are older.

Anonymous said...

I think it's an awesome idea. We should start something like that as well. My sister does something similar to that: She has her kids go through all the toys on Thanksgiving and donates a ton to charity (not the crap old ones, but the good ones they play with.) It has helped her kids grasp the concept of sacrifice and she keeps her toy room de-junked! Win-win! I think your kids will look back and thank you!

houstonandfam said...

every year we clean out the kids rooms to give to less fortunate children and my kids willingly give up htere toys its amazing at how young they are they can empathize with others you are an amazing mom and an amazing friend love you always!

Kellee and Courtney said...

I think it is awesome. And there may be pieces they don't fully understand but they still know that they helped other people and I think that is amazing. I am sure with santa coming that they will still have plenty. I know that my kids have way to many toys and even with telling everyone that we are cutting back this year it still seems we have too many gifts under the tree. On other note: Let me know when you find a way to get paid to shop.

Erica said...

I think that this Christmas idea is great. I don't think kids are going to miss a couple of toys on Christmas morning. It's a great teaching opportunity for kids. I hope that we can do something like that with our kids. Right now, it's just a pain to take them to the store. Maybe when they are a little bit older I would love to do that. You're a great mom!

Sundi @ The Life of a Cheap Chickadee said...

How did it go?